Scientific Editing: I work with the editorial teams of scientific journals, development organizations, and conferences. My scientific editing work includes:
- Journal of Industrial Ecology: Part of the editorial team of the Journal of Industrial Ecology, edited at Yale University, USA, published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Eco-industrial park policy: Revising and compiling case studies and national policy reviews of Eco-industrial parks in 14 emerging and developing countries. Case studies and policy documents compiled for United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), subcontracted by Institute for Communication and Analysis of Science and Technology (ICAST).
- United Nations Environment Program – International Resource Panel: Invited to peer review chapters of United Nations Environment Program-International Resource Panel (UNEP-IRP) report on ‘Resource Efficiency: Potential and Economic Implications’.
Research and Documentation: As a researcher, I work with diverse teams providing input on experimental design, survey design, data collection, data analysis, publication preparation, and dissemination. Projects I have worked on:
- Waste Management, Waste Reuse and Industrial Symbiosis in Indian Cities: Co-ordinating and documenting an intensive workshop as part of the NSF-USAID funded Partnerships for International Research and Education (PIRE) – Partnerships for Enhanced Engagement in Research (PEER) project: Developing Low-Carbon Cities in the US, China and India through Inter-Disciplinary Integration across Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences and Public Health. Workshop on 11, 12 May 2017 at TERI, Domlur, India.
Urban Solid Waste Management Innovations in Bengaluru, India: Mandatory Segregation and Wet-waste Treatment at Source by Residential Bulk Generators: This research project examines the design and implementation of policies that mandate segregation of urban solid waste and source and community-based onsite wet-waste treatment in Bengaluru. It generates knowledge that might be applied to improve garbage disposal and recycling/treatment policies and practices in Bengaluru and the other parts of the World, e.g., Chengdu in China. The project is in collaboration with Dr. Xuehua Zhang, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China and conducted by a team at Atree led by Dr. Megha Shenoy.
- Environmental impact of food: Invited to publish chapter: Grappling with impacts: Environmental considerations around agriculture and food waste treatment in Asian cities. Invited chapter in book Food consumption in the city: Practices and patterns in urban Asia and the Pacific (editors M. Sahakian, C. Saloma, and S. Erkman). Routledge.
- Industrial ecology in developing countries: Invited to publish chapter: Shenoy, M. Industrial ecology in developing countries. In book – Taking stock of industrial ecology (editors R. Clift and A. Druckman). publisher: Springer, UK, released at the ISIE 2015 conference at University of Surrey, UK.
- Industrial ecology in India: Invited to publish chapter: Ashton, W. & Shenoy, M. A culture of closed loops: Industrial ecology in India. In the book – International Perspectives on Industrial Ecology (editors P. Deutz, D. Lyons and J. Bi). publisher: Edgar Elgar Publishing, UK.
- Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR): Creating a bibliographic database on Extended Producer Responsibility. In collaboration with and funded by the Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA.
- Documentaries on sustainable food: Assisting in the making of documentaries on food waste management and household flows of food in Bangalore. In collaboration with and funded by the Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS).
- Collective recycling strategies: Reclaiming sand in Patancheru and Pashamylaram industrial areas, Telangana. In collaboration with SOFIES; funded by the Telangana State Industrial Infrastructure Corporation, India.
- Life Cycle Assessment of button mushroom production: Using LinkCycle Quick Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Tool from an MFA created using STAN v2.5 for cradle to gate flows.
- Graphical representation of industrial symbiosis: Represent inter company, industrial symbiotic flows using the software STAN v2.5 to illustrate a complex system with 20 processes and 39 flows that were uncovered in the Nanjangud Industrial Area, south India.
- Life Cycle Inventory: Format Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) data into EcoSpold format v1 in accordance with ecoinvent guidelines, to link to ecoinvent v2.2 datasets with a full list of elementary flows comparable to existing ecoinvent datasets. In addition, electronic documentation of a life cycle inventory in the EcoSpold format. Collaboration with ESU-services Ltd., Zurich.
- Food waste management systems and organic food: Reliable recommendations on food waste management systems and organic food in Bangalore and Manila, based on an understanding of local systems, and a literature review focused on the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) approach. Part of the project on (Un)Sustainable food consumption dynamics in South/Southeast Asia. In collaboration with University of Lausanne, Switzerland; funded by the Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS).
- Industrial symbiosis as an urban intervention: As part of Partnerships for International Research and Education (PIRE) project: Developing low-carbon cities in the US, China and India through inter-disciplinary integration across engineering, environmental sciences, social sciences and public health. In collaboration with Yale University, University of Minnesota, USA and ROI, India. Funded by Yale University, USA.
- Air pollution and health impacts: Pollution, health and livelihood impacts of cook stove change-out in rural Karnataka, India. In collaboration with University of Minnesota, USA and Samhua, India. Funded by University of Minnesota, USA.*
- Uncovering industrial symbiosis: Industrial residual inventory for Jigani and Bommasandra industrial areas to recommend sustainable strategies for reuse, recycling and recovery. In collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. Funded by CII.*
- Online platform for industrial symbiosis: Indiosis: A social web platform for industrial symbiosis (prototype). In collaboration with University of Lausanne, Switzerland.*
- Biodegradable plastics: Guidance on developing a business plan for biodegradable plastics in the Indian market. Guidance provided to graduate students at the Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA. Funded by Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA.*
- Industrial ecology in policy: Incorporate industrial ecology concepts in the document: ‘Fostering responsible behavior in MSMEs in clusters’. Document edited by Foundation for MSME Clusters and GIZ, India. Funded by Foundation for MSME Clusters, India.*
- Energy and development: Indo-Swiss Energy and Development Symposium. In collaboration with The Graduate Institute, Switzerland; Indian Institute of Management Bangalore; and swissnex India. Funded by The Graduate Institute, Switzerland and swissnex India.*
- Collective waste management strategy for an iron foundry cluster: Environmental analysis of a cluster of foundries in Samalkha, Haryana, India. Funded by Foundation for MSME Clusters, India.*
- Biogas viability assessment: Preliminary assessment of the economic viability of biogas extraction from sewage at the small scale (0.2 MLD). Internship by graduate students from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland.*
- Life Cycle Inventory: Formatting material flow analysis (MFA) data into life cycle inventory (LCI) format using Ecoinvent database template Ecospold. In collaboration with Ecoinvent – The Swiss Center for Life Cycle Inventories.*
- Biofuel policy: Potential changes in biomass flows due to India’s biodiesel policy: A comparative Material Flow Analysis (MFA) of the Jatropha curcas and Prosopis juliflora economies in Tamil Nadu, India. In collaboration with and funded by Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA.*
- Collective waste management strategy for a pharmaceutical cluster: Gaseous solvent recovery from bulk drug industries, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. In collaboration with Center for Development Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), India. Funded by Foundation for MSME Clusters, India.*
- Plastic waste recycling strategy: Strategies for adding value to plastic waste in cities in the south: A case study of expanded polystyrene in Bangalore. Internship by graduate students from University of Lausanne, Switzerland.*
- India’s energy policy: Compiling a review of Indian energy policy and strategy: Pre and post COP 15. Funded by The Graduate Institute, Switzerland.*
- Collective waste management and resource optimization strategies for a cottage scale industrial cluster: Energy efficiency, water recycling and carbon dioxide emissions in the silk reeling sector around Bangalore. In collaboration with and funded by Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA.*
- Resource optimization in a large scale agro-business facility: Optimizing material and energy flows at a large scale manufacturing industry in Pune, India. In collaboration with and funded by Center for Development Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), India.*
- Plastic waste recycling strategy: Safe recycling of Expanded Poly Styrene (EPS) in Bangalore, India. Internship by students from the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.*
- Uncovering industrial symbiosis: Industrial symbiosis and residual recovery in the Nanjangud industrial area, India. In collaboration with and funded by Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA.#, *
- City wide water management strategy: Applying industrial ecology to construct a water balance for Bangalore, India. In collaboration with and funded by Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University, USA.#, *
- Review of industrial ecology: Industrial Ecology in India – Past, present, and future.#
- Biofuel policy: Environmental impact from using agricultural residue as fuel for co-generation: A case study from south India.#
- Biofuel policy: ‘Approaches to using bio-diesel in India’ conducted in collaboration with researchers from School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University, New Haven, USA.*
# Conducted at Center for Industrial Ecology, Yale University,USA.
* Conducted at Resource Optimization Initiative (ROI), India.